Nominations Open for Postgraduate Network!

The Bristol SU PG Network is hosting elections again, and there are lots of positions up for grabs! The PG Network is a student-led initiative for all postgraduate students (both research and taught) that seeks to develop an active, strong and vibrant postgraduate community here at the University of Bristol. The PG Network provides a real chance for students to together shape and develop Bristol postgraduate community life – which is why it’s a great organisation to get involved with! We chatted to Ben and Rachel, two long-standing and devoted members, about why they loved their roles so much.

Ben Hudson – Chair

pg-network-3-welcome-fair
Laura Ho and Ben Hudson at this year’s Welcome Week Fair

How did you get involved with the PG Network?

I have been involved with the PG Network since its inception. When I heard that Bristol SU were planning on developing a network to bring together postgraduate students from across the university, I was keen to be involved. The university had for many years lacked a real sense of postgraduate community so I was very pleased to hear about this initiative and wanted to play my part in making it a success.

What have been your most memorable experiences?

Getting to meet so many students from across the entire university – sharing our experiences and making real friends along the way. Also, bringing the postgraduate voice to university committees at the highest levels has been a real honour and has been positive for my career development.

Why would you recommend joining the committee to others?

I would definitely recommend considering to stand for one of the positions on the PG Network Committee. It gives you a real chance to be at the heart of postgraduate life here at the University of Bristol and allows you to play your part in shaping our postgraduate community.

pg-network-3-welcome-fair_2
Rachel Harris at this year’s Welcome Week Fair

Rachel Harris – Postgraduate Research Representative

I moved to Bristol to start my PhD when the PG Network was just getting up and running. I’m based at Southmead hospital and didn’t know many people in the city when I arrived so I went along to some events. Having benefitted from the network and enjoyed the events I attended, I decided myself forward for postgraduate research (PGR) representative when nominations opened last year.

Representing PGR views on university committees and see how change really happens has been a particular highlight. I’ve also enjoyed attending as many events as possible and talking to new people. Our PG Pub Quiz a favourite as it’s nice to see some friendly rivalry among the PG community!

I’d highly recommend having a look at the committee positions available and putting yourself forward. If you enjoy working with other passionate postgraduates and talking to fellow students about their experiences, this is the position for you. You’ll also get the chance represent postgraduate researchers and be a part of the decisions made in the union and the university.

Nominate yourself for a position on the Postgraduate Network Committee by 12th October. Voting is from 17th– 20th October.

pg-network-10-cheddar-trip
The PG Network runs loads of events – such as hiking the Cheddar Gorge valley! – and is a cornerstone of Bristol’s PGR community