Self-Care Week 2019, which begins on Monday 18 November, is an opportunity for all of us to take stock, think about our day-to-day wellbeing — and to make sure we’re taking breaks!
To mark the occasion, the PGR Hub (second floor, Senate House) will be hosting free events that provide opportunities to relax, ‘raise your gaze’ from your research and connect with other PGRs.
Here’s what’ll be happening during the week.
Board Game Café
Tuesday 19 November, 4–7pm
Three hours of pizza and play in the PGR Hub. We’ll be breaking out some classic and contemporary games — including Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Apples to Apples and Scrabble — and bringing in some free refreshments. Find out more on Facebook.
Silent Reading Party
Friday 22 November, 1–4pm
A chance to read and relax in the Hub’s chilled ‘literary lounge’ — and to enjoy some healthy snacks. We’ll have free bookplates, BDC bookmarks and books of all genres (although you’re welcome to bring your own). Find out more on Facebook.
We’ll also be marking the occasion by asking for your self-care tips — and collating them for a BDC blogpost.
Whether it’s a technique that helps you to relax or an activity that gives you a break from your research, you can share your nuggets of wellbeing wisdom using one of the channels listed below. We’ll pick a tip at random at 5pm on Monday 25 November, and its author will win 20 Bristol Pounds.
You can submit your tip:
- as a comment on one of the Bristol Doctoral College’s #selfcareweek Facebook posts
- as a tweet with the #selfcareweek and #BristolPGRs hashtags
- as an Instagram post with the #selfcareweek and #BristolPGRs hashtags
- in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- (from Monday 18 November) by adding to our ‘timeout tips tree’ in the PGR Hub.
Terms and conditions
- The competition is open to all current postgraduate research students at the University of Bristol.
- The closing date for entries is 5pm on Monday 25 November 2019.
- The winner will receive 20 Bristol pounds.
- The winner will be selected at random.
- Multiple entries are permitted.